Welcome to the PE Department!
The PE department at NUSA offers a wide and varied curriculum, including BTEC Level 2 certificate in Leadership and Sports Coaching in Year 9, and GCSE Sport Science in Years 10 and 11. We also run Sport Leaders programmes for students and encourage students to take the lead and share their knowledge with others.
We are proud of our recent highly successful GCSE and BTEC results and our many extra-curricular achievements. You can find out more about our sporting achievements so far this term in our News stories section.
We run many extracurricular clubs that are open to students, including the popular trampolining, netball, basketball and football clubs, and we have more activities still to look forward to this term, including a Wembley rewards trip, Year 7 sports hall athletics, Year 9 boys and girls handball, Year 8 and 10 girls dodge ball, Year 9 basketball and Year 7 futsal.
We have introduced two new sports this term: urban hockey for KS4 and volleyball for KS3 and GCSE students
Scheme of work
Pupils work in groups set on ability in KS3 PE. The groups work on similar activities with objectives tailored to the needs of different groups. The groups are labelled as follows:
Parents can support pupils learning in PE by:
- Encouraging pupils to fully participate in all lessons.
- Ensuring pupils are in the correct kit for all PE lessons for health and safety reasons.
- Writing letters in planners, asking for pupils to be excused if they are ill, (excused pupils are still required to bring kit for the lesson - extra layers are advised if a pupil is excused from outdoor lessons).
- Providing a doctor’s note in the case of long-term illness or injury.
- Encouraging pupils to take part in school sports clubs and inter-form sport.
- Participating in physical activity with their children or supporting their participation in sport outside school.
- Encouraging pupils to let staff know about their participation in sport away from school.
- Ensuring that medical information regarding their children is kept up to date with the school office.
- In Year 8, discussing the options that pupils will have to choose within PE in Yr 9 – Core PE, SLA , BTEC or GCSE PE. Please see Yr8 Option Handbook or a member of the PE Department.
- Extracurricular sport: A wide range of sporting activities is provided for pupils to take part in at lunch – times and after school.
- The school runs teams in Rugby (boys), Hockey (boys and girls), Netball (girls), Football (boys and girls), Badminton (boys and girls), Basketball, (boys), Rounders (girls), Cricket (boys and girls) and Athletics (boys and girls).
- All pupils are encouraged to take part in inter–form sporting activities which include the major games, swimming, cross country and athletics.
- Information on local clubs is advertised in the PE Department on the notice boards.
Details of the new OCR specification can be found at:
We offer two BTEC courses:
- Level 2 BTEC in Sport (equivalent to 4 GCSE’s A-C)
- Level 3 BTEC in Sport (equivalent to 1 or 2 A-Levels A-C)
These courses are both primarily coursework based although the Level 2 qualifications does contain one online test. They are also practical and work related in nature, providing an introduction to the sports industry. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace scenarios.
The course is theoretical in nature – be under no illusions that it is all about playing sport! We do however strive to facilitate learning though practical tasks. These can involve sport specific exercises and scientific experiments. We also offer a variety of field trips and extra-curricular learning experiences. Some examples include:
- Nottingham Forest FC field trip (including a stadium tour)
- Completion of a First Aid Certificate
- Yoga / Pilates
- Heart dissections
- Archery session
A good BTEC grade will enhance your prospects of obtaining employment in the Sports Industry. Should you wish to continue studying, BTEC qualifications are recognised by both Colleges and Universities.
Physical Education News
- Barcelona Sports Tour
Easter 2019 (30/04/2019)
- Year 11 boys football team in 2nd place
A silver medal for NUSA in the Nottinghamshire Schools 5-a-side tournament. (23/11/2016)
- Year 11 girls netball team
City tournament at NUSA. (23/11/2016)
- 3rd place result for Year 10 boys basketball team
Finals at Jesse Boots Wildcats Arena. (23/11/2016)
- Year 10 boys football friendly match with Ellis Guildford
A fantastic start to the season with outstanding team spirit! (23/11/2016)